Spring is in the air Aquarean Readers!
Flowers are sprouting, days are getting longer, the rain is frequent and nourishing, and temperatures are rising. Life is budding, which means it’s time to emerge from our winter hibernation of reflection and embrace the natural energy buzzing around us.
I don’t know about you, but the moment the thermometer hits sixty degrees and it’s sunny outside I get a rush of energy and immediately want to throw open my windows and start deep cleaning. I live in the Northeast, so when Winter hits I am hunkered down and wrapped up in all things comfy-cozy for three months straight. My body goes into conservation mode and my energy is abysmal. I don’t mind the cold months because they allow me to rest, reflect, and start workshopping on what I want to accomplish in the new year. However, after a while, my space gets heavy with the residual energy of constantly feeling chilled, elements of my seasonal depression, and working through the shadow aspects of what I’m reflecting on from the previous year. Needless to say, my home starts to feel extremely stuffy towards the start of Spring and I am ready to embark on what I call, Spring Cleansing!
Right before the Spring equinox I take a look around the apartment and start to plan out a healthy Cleansing session. My practice involves cleaning my space, updating my altar, and performing a combination of cleansing rituals. Below is what I did this year if you’re looking for some inspiration:
- Dust all shelves and appliances before vacuuming and mopping the floors and molding.
- Go through drawers and closets and donate/discard anything I no longer wear or use.
- Organize closets, bookshelves, and my workstations.
- Vacuum couches and chairs and shake out pillows and rugs.
- General cleaning and tidying up.
Alter/Sacred Space Set Up
- Remove all material from the space to dust and sanitize.
- Donate/discard anything I’m not using or that has expired.
- Reorganize materials and tools that allow you to practice more frequently and easily.
- Decorate with cloths, crystals, items from nature, totems, or whatever makes you smile and honors the change in season.
- Open windows, burn sage and/or palo santo, and walk throughout the home chanting a prayer or mantra that removes stagnant/negative energy. NOTE: Be sure to hit every room corner to ensure trapped energy gets out.
- Burn a Spring smelling candle or purifying incense.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon outside your front door to welcome prosperity and protection.
- Fill a bucket with water and add some essential oils and Moon Water to clean all baseboards, windows, and door frames.
I break this practice up into sizable portions I can complete over the course of the weekend, but if you’re feeling spunky and can get it done in one day more power to you!!
After a strong cleansing session, I notice how much lighter and more energetic my home feels. My space transforms into an environment of vitality and growth vs. cocooning and contemplation. I am able to charge into Spring on a fresh slate and breathe in the rejuvenating energy I have created. Keep in mind, do what works best for you and your space! I enjoy the above practices because it fits with my lifestyle and preferences. But if the above seems daunting, or too low-key (again, more power to you!), you can craft what rituals work best for you. I gathered inspiration from the following books:
Magical Housekeeping by Tess Whitehurst
The life-changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo
Please note The Aquarean is not affiliated with either of these authors, these books are just what inspired me to create the above Spring Cleansing practice.
That’s it for now magickal souls. Join me next month regarding energy-banishing rituals and times to best apply them. Be well and stay safe everyone.